Thursday 28 April 2016

Part XXVIII A & B & Andrew Smith - Movement in the Dark III

(On the day of my birthday actually - here are two of my favouite pieces so far following directly on from the last piece with a third piece from my Brighton friend Andrew Paul Smith - Movement in the Dark III)

A

Coughing in the sunset
the sudden burst of light
fused the lights
for almost two minutes

throwing everybody

in the area
to the ground 
like they had been Rugby tackled

breaking windows


shortening engines of

passing buses and cars

freezing the village

for a good few seconds 

before vanishing 

like a magician's trick

and leaving two

what could be men
stood there in shock

while the world 

shivered around them. 

B


Standing nearly in the light
They were thrown backwards

Some of them sliced
Almost in half
By the exploision
Like molten ice melting,

Forging their hatred
Into steel
Before splitting
Some into dust,

Some into the river
Never to be seen again
And the one
That escaped
Into a taunt line
Disappearing into
The nearby tunnel

Crying in broken agony. 

****


Movement in the Dark III

I tried to move with slight and ease
Not wanting to disturb a thing
Every muscle wanted nothing more than to seize,
Grazes covered in slime starting to sting
I had no sense of time or direction in here
Just my heart beating its impending sound of doom
And as the scraping sounds emerged once more something was suddenly clear,
This nightmare was sure to conclude very, very soon.
It came with a speed far beyond that of man
My throat squeezed between elongated fingers and curved nails.
But my found resolve, I knew, would force me to fight back as best I can
My heavier weight lifting it up despite protesting squeaks and wails.
Desperation and anger found strength now unbound
As I flung this man-rodent against the tunnel wall
The crunch of bone and split of sinew a resonating sound
And then nothing, for what seemed an eternity, nothing at all.
I waited a long moment, resigned to swift resolution from the nest
But it seemed as if I was singled out by only one
And so I didn’t wait around to theorise this test
I had to act now, gather evidence and so for this to be done
The body was dead and broken, but easy enough to drag
so I pulled with all my reserve and might
As the bodies of my colleagues dimly came into view my legs starts to sag
And I thought ‘what would everyone make of this grisly sight?!’
At least I had the proof of slaughter
The beast with my friends' flesh between its maw
At least the police should most definitely give me quarter
Along with the statement of events I saw
As I started up the ladder, the light seemed so bright, almost painful like a burn
The sounds from above so loud against strangely pointed ears
And my teeth! Growing sharp and long, and the thirst...for what was this I seemed to yearn?
The thought of the public suddenly greater than all of my past fears
I found myself sniffing the air, tasting a scent, my now stretched nails curving around
Now I understood, from a clawing graze, this undiscovered race, one for one, in this sewer
My fate now forever bound.





No comments:

Post a Comment